- Cost-effective solutions for assemblies
- Solving your fastening problems
- Torque curve analysis for assembly
- Clamping force in plastic assemblies
- Magnesium assemblies fastening solutions
- Screw technology catalogues
Magnesium assemblies fastening solutions
Industry is constantly searching for lighter solutions, being magnesium alloys one of the preferred materials in component design.
Most magnesium applications are developed for automotive, but also electronic equipment, household appliances and sportswear benefit from its features.
Magnesium is the ninth most abundant element in nature and the lightest structural metal (33% lighter than aluminum and 75% lighter than steel). Besides its light weight, strength and durability, it has excellent flow and it can be processed to die casting.
Its properties, however, make of magnesium a challenging material for joints, being REMFORM®'F’ thread forming screws the most cost efficient and reliable solution for the fastening of magnesium parts.
Advantages of using REMFORM® II F™ screws for magnesium assemblies.
- Reduction of the overall cost of assembly. Thread forming screws eliminate the need of pre-tapping and all associated costs.
- Its high stripping resistance provides durable and reliable joints.
- Its round body shape results in better engagement, improving clamping and joint strength.
- Its special thread profile reduces material displacement during threading, minimizing debris and preventing galling.
- It provides great stability for applications with wide hole tolerances.
REMFORM® II F™ screws design specifications.
When designing joints in magnesium, engineers should take into consideration that, due to its limited shear strength, length of engagement should be around 2 - 2,5 times the screw diameter. Recommended hole design available at DESIGN GUIDELINES.
In order to avoid galvanic corrosion, the screws coating must be non-conductive, which includes the usage of insulating sealants.
Apart from the references available in stock, we produce REMFORM® II F™ customised screws to suit your exact requirements.
We are ready to listen to you and provide support on your magnesium projects, just contact our applications engineers!